...Paulina...

This is my own web page from Cartagena, Colombia that Mr.Hide made me make in the seventh grade english class. I really liked it and it was very fun to learn something new. You will find many interesting things in this blog. Bye!!!

Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Through the Hot Sahara


I just read an interesting article about people in Africa that travel through the Sahara desert to trade salt for gold or gold for salt. The first thing that amazed me was that the journey was 450 miles, I think that is pretty long!! The temperatures are really high, I dont understand how a human being could walk across the Sahara wrapped with robes and turbans all around his body. I would never do that kind of trips. Those Africans need to be very srong to support the high temperatues and the lack of fresh water. Another thing that surprised me when I was reading the article was that it said that camels could last a whole month without water, I wouldnt last even a day without water.

I think that Africans are such great workers because the Europeans once had them as slaves so they learned how to work hard and how to win their independence by working together. I would honor Africans because they are people that suffered very much and they got discrimanted by others especially the Europeans. Africans need to have rights as everyone does and they need to be respected even if they are people very different from you.

If you are buying salt in Timbuktu, Africa, it's good to think how much work the people needed to do to find this salt. This happens as well with king crabs of freezing oceans, many people die in this jobs and they need to suffer very much but at the end they dont gain the money they deserve. Miners and camel-drivers make a living by the markup price or the money they gain when they sell the good to another person. For example, if you buy a bag of salt by 2 dollars and you sell it by 4 dollars, the money you gain is 2 dollars.

I think this is an unfair system of selling goods across the Sahara because you work more than what you gain. The system should be that you work the same than what you gain. Many people also have an unfair working system but we cant do anything about it, they choose the job that they want to do.

There is a good thing happening and it is that there is forming a new way of selling goods through lorries. I think it is a great opportunity for miners and camel-drivers because camels take a month to cross the Sahara but lorries, or trucks, only take a week. I dont think that people will continue walking across the Sahara, this tradition will disappear in a few years because so many people will be shipping their products in lorries or by boats through rivers such as the Niger River.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home