...Paulina...

This is my own web page from Cartagena, Colombia that Mr.Hide made me make in the seventh grade english class. I really liked it and it was very fun to learn something new. You will find many interesting things in this blog. Bye!!!

Thursday, February 22, 2007

The Kyoto Protocol

As I had said in my last post, the next thing that I would like to research on is organizations that fight against global warming. One important organization that I founded interesting to research on is the Kyoto Protocol. This are two cool links that I found about the Kyoto Protocol: To visit the first web page click here. To visit the second web page click here.

In my research I found cool facts that I would like to state. The 160 countries that are involved with the Kyoto Protocol need to reduce their carbon dioxide and greenhouse emissions; that is their goal. This is the professional way to describe their goal or objective: "stabilization of greenhouse gas concentrations in the atmosphere at a level that would prevent dangerous anthropogenic interference with the climate system." This agreement was negotiated in Kyoto, Japan. That's where the Kyoto Protocol's name came from. Australia nor the United States have worked to reduce the greenhouse emissions event though they have signed up for the protocol. I think this is really bad because the United States is one of the largest countries in the world and also has a lot of population so they send a lot of greenhouse gas emissions which produce global warming. In the BBC News web page I found that the United States is the world's top polluter!!! At least the United States has a group of students that want to be part of the Kyoto Protocol. This group is called the Kyoto Now!. Canada has increased 20% of it´s emissions during the last 17 years. When Russia signed up for the Kyoto Protocol it strengthen the protocol and made that 55% less greenhouse gases were sent into the atmosphere. Each country's goal must be achieved by 2008 to 2012. The actual reduction of greenhouse gas emissions must be higher than the 5%. The most developed and industrialized countries must reduce their greenhouse gas emissions by a 10%. Some countries use a particular way of reducing the greenhouse gas emissions. They practice "emissions trading" which is the buy and sell (trading) of emission credits among the countries themselves.

What I thought about all this information about the Kyoto Protocol is that it's really good to know that at least 169 countries around the world are working against global warming. I think that this 169 countries should convince the remaining countries so they also help reduce global warming. I think that even a small group of people from the remaining countries should convince their own country to sign up for the Protocol. It would be great if the United States and Australia sign up. This would help a lot because the United States is one of the biggest polluters of the world. I think that if the United States ever signs up, it would happen the same as when Russia sign up; it strengthen the Kyoto Protocol. I don't think that Australia pollutes a lot because it is well known for it's fauna and not for it's industries. Sydney could probably pollute. I also don't think that "emissions trading" is a fair neither good thing to do. I think that the Kyoto Protocol would not get anywhere if this continues because there are some countries that send less greenhouse gases than others so these countries would sell their credits to other countries that do send a lot more of greenhouse gases to the atmosphere.

What I would like to research on next is about the United States and Australia. Why haven't they signed up for the Protocol? Do they have any small groups that are working against global warming? Do they send a lot of greenhouse gases to the atmosphere or not?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home